It's only the beginning of the year, but my mind is in the fall: should I have Jack start kindergarten or have him go another year of preschool?
Parker was so ready for kindergarten. He was reading not long after he started preschool. But. Parker also turned five within a month of being in preschool. Jack won't even be five until after the school year is over.
Right now, Parker is already reading at 99% (according to his teacher yesterday at parent teacher conference) and first graders are only expected to read about sixty-something percent at the end of the school year. Jack isn't anywhere close to being able to start reading. He can finally count to 10 without skipping from 3 to 6, but he doesn't seem to recognize the numbers. Or recognize all his letters either. He won't even sing the ABC song for me. I'm sure a lot of this is my fault too. Parker loved to read as a baby, and still does. When Jack was little, he'd hardly sit in my lap long enough for me to finish the first page of a book. He only liked books when we was tearing them to pieces. So Jack hasn't gotten much reading time with me. He missed out on all those baby books that go over numbers and letters and colors. He still mixes up his colors.
It's hard not to compare Parker's experience with what Jack is doing now. I need to realize/remember that it's not expected that kids learn to read until kindergarten. Not while in preschool. {sigh} I just don't think Jack will be mature enough for kindergarten in the fall. My visiting teacher mentioned this month that her Kindergarten-teaching sister-in-law (which was Parker's kindergarten teacher) said that, at the beginning of each school year, she can always recognize the students with late-spring and summer birthdays. They just aren't as mature. That's just where Jack's birthday falls.
I'd like to hold him back a year. Brian doesn't like the idea of him going another year at the same preschool. I think that he could use that second year (and I like that preschool). He's a sweet boy and still so little. I don't want him to struggle in school. He won't even be alone in waiting a year. One of his friends in the neighborhood is going to wait a year (and he has a March birthday).
I guess we'll see, come September.
3 comments:
Give him another year before kindergarten. I have a bit more to say on this but i'll either email you or talk to you in person. :)
That's a hard decision. Tyler has a late birthday too, (August) so I will probably be in the same boat as you next year when I have to decide what to do. September is still a long way off. Maybe things will change by then.
I speak from experience. I was an older student of my class which I'm sure I really needed that. My main experience though is with my boy. He was the exact same way. NOT READY! Don't fool ourselves. It is ok. I kept him back and he started the year at 6 years old because his birthday was mid August. BEST CHOICE EVER! I can't imagine the struggle we would have had starting him earlier. It is tough enough now. Plus, think of it socially. All of his friends will be dating...he won't be 16...sounds like a good idea, but I think that it only opens the door for possible temptations just that much sooner. Plus driving....he'll be bumming rides everywhere. School dances...girls will be older in his class. Anyway, I feel like I made the right decision. If you don't want him to go to the same school maybe find another preschool.
Post a Comment